Day 34: Back to Moon Lake

Well, today is my last full day in Alaska. I loaded up in the bus and started the trek south around 10am. My first stop is North Pole, AK. Apparently a city where it is Christmas year round. And where Santa spends his summers. If you ever need Christmas stuff in the summer, this is the place to go. And they were playing Christmas carols on the store music system. Oh, and yes, Santa was there.

After letting Santa know that I’d try and be better behaved the second half of the year, it was back on the road. Next stop was the sign marking the end of the Alaska Highway in Delta. I had to stop and take a photo. It also made a great little picnic spot for lunch and to let Pepper stretch her legs a bit.

My plan was to stop in the Tok area again on the way home and since Moon Lake was so amazing on my way up, I decided to spend another night there. It’s interesting coming back to a camping spot after touring around Alaska for nearly two weeks. It really made me realize that I’m leaving Alaska tomorrow. It’s also fun to bookend my stay in Alaska with the same campground, but also with a lake that is absolutely amazing for paddleboarding.

I picked a different campsite, a little further from the water and hopefully slightly fewer mosquitos. But looking around I don’t see as many today as when I was here before anyway. But it’s also about 20 degrees warmer and not raining this time. I set up camp, inflate the board, and hit the water. It’s a beautiful day. Very few clouds, very warm (around 75), and the sun is shining. I paddle around for about 90 minutes and then head back to the bus. I have a couple of projects I want to bang out while I have a couple of short driving days coming up. One is to install a screen on the drivers window so that the bugs don’t come in while I’m driving. The second is to touch up some of the paint that got scuffed and is starting to look shabby. This bus is the star of my trip, I need her looking good! After a little DIY on the bus I grilled a hamburger for dinner and made a big salad to go with it. I still wasn’t seeing many mosquitos so Pepper and I ate outside. She still hates being on the leash, but she loved getting out of the bus for a while! After dinner it was time for another paddle. I could seriously get used to this!

Tomorrow I’m headed back into Canada. I’ll probably find a spot to camp near Destruction Bay or Haines Junction. I have about a week to get to Vancouver. That might seem like a lot of time, but it’s also a really long drive. And there are some major wildfires in BC that have closed a bunch of roads that I was planning to take on my route. There are alternates, but I’m not making plans yet. Wildfire conditions change rapidly, and a road that is closed now might be open as the days get closer.